Please notice: We try to keep our infos up to date, but please always double check with the official websites of the regarding institutions!!!

How can I find accommodation?

How do I get stuff (bike, kitchenware, etc.)?

How do I get a ticket for public transport?

  • Within the city borders you can use all public transport with one ticket, since it’s all one zone. More information about the different types of tickets (such as Single Trip Ticket, Half Price etc.) you can find at the Wiener Linien homepage.
  • Probably you want a “Semesterticket” (a ticket valid for all the public transport in Vienna during the entire semester). You can get those here with your student’s ID and your “Meldezettel”. (If you don’t have the semester sticker for your student’s ID yet, you can also show the confirmation of payment.)

How do I find my way through Vienna by Public Transport?

How do I get a bank account and do I really need one?

  • You only need an Austrian bank account if you are going to receive salary from an Austrian employee or if you want to get a mobile phone contract. (You don’t need it for prepaid phone cards!)
  • However there are also free bank accounts for students receivable at most of the bigger Austrian banks (close to TU are Erste Bank, Bank Austria (Wiedner Hauptstraße 11) and Hypo NÖ (Operngasse 21)), but you’ll probably have to pay a fee for closing the account after your stay. Hint: With an Austrian cash card usually you don’t have to pay any fees for withdrawing money at any cash point (Bankomat) at any bank in the Eurozone.

How do I get a mobile phone?

  • There are several providers in Austria such as A1Drei, T-Mobile and HoT. If you are looking explicitly for a prepaid you should check out A1, bob and yesss.
  • Again ESN can offer you a special cooperation: Together with your ESN Card comes a A1 sim card for free. All the important informations about this deal you can find here.

How about health insurance?

  • This depends on where you come from and if you have a valid health insurance in you home country. Please check the information provided via the ÖAD